New to fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing for Beginners' started by Flounder, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Flounder

Flounder New Member

Hey everybody I am new to fishing and have only been with friends and used their equipment. I am looking to buy my own rod and fish around Annapolis where I live. Anybody have any suggestions on places to fish and what kind of equipment I should buy. Also I haven't been but fly fishing looks pretty interesting, what do you fly fish for versus just cast and bait fish for?
  2. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Staff Member

I've never tried fly fishing. It looks more an art form than fishing. :) I don't know exactly what fish you might catch fly fishing in your area. All of the surface eaters would be fair game I'm guessing.
  3. phases

phases Administrator

My father in law recently got into it after an old friend gave him a few lessons and he is REALLY into it. Seems to love it.
  4. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Staff Member

I can see how it could be addictive. The point would be to return the fly to the same spot a number of times. First to attract a fish and then to hook. All the while you would be attempting to simulate a flying insect on top of the water. That's why I earlier called it an art form. It would take a lot of accuracy and skill from the fly fisherman.

I'm more the cast my bait in and see what happens sort of guy. I don't even fish with lures. That is another art form that practice would improve. Knowing just when and how to work a spoon or plug to make it enticing would equal fly fishing.
    Both would take a lot of practice and both would carry the same satisfaction of teasing the fish to the hook without bait.